Thursday, November 02, 2006

Our first week with Maddox!

Sorry it's taken so long for us to post, but this new baby has kept us a little busy not to mention my recovery. I got a postpartum infection, so I've been pretty miserable up until yesterday. I'm feeling better now and am excited to share a ton of pictures from Maddox's first week with us at home.

He's been terrific. He nurses a ton, which is good, but I've been a bit sore. We've decided to nickname him "hoover". He's developed a little bit of a routine as much as he can in a week. He likes to cluster-feed in the late evening into the early morning hours around 1 or 2 am. Then he usually crashes for about 3 hours, then eats, and again sleeps another 3 hours or so, which is nice, but that cluster-feeding session usually tires me out quite a bit.

Our families and friends have been so great with bringing us food, bringing me to doctor appointments, and just spending time with me, since Corey had to go back to work so soon. It's amazing how nice it is to just have someone else there to talk to and help with all the little things. I'm positive we have the best families anyone could ever ask for. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

On Tuesday, October 31st, Maddox was officially one week old. We got him all decked out in his duck costume and headed out trick-or-treating. We stopped at Grandma & Grandpa Brackens, Great Grandma Smith's, Courtney & Joel Rustad's, and Great Grandma Lindell's (Grandma & Grandpa Lindell were there too). It was quite the haul, but it was fun. Both Maddox and his older cousin Rowan were ducks. They were adorable together.

On Wednesday, November 1st, Maddox had his first doctor's appointment. My mom came up and drove me because Corey was at work. He met us there. Maddox has grown quite a bit already weighing 9 lbs. 4 ounces (they took .5 ounces off for his diaper and shirt). He's already gained 12.25 ounces. The goal is to have them back at their birth weight at two weeks old, so he's well surpassed that. Everything checked out great with him.

In the last few days he's had more and more alert periods where he just looks at you while you talk to him. It's been fun to hang out when he's not just eating or sleeping. Yesterday he even smiled at my mom when he was awake. It definitely made her day. I've been trying to catch a smile on camera for a week now and finally got one this morning. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Mindi Kay said...

WHAT A DOLL!!! And the Ducky's are SOO CUTE!!! I was hoping to see some Halloween pictures... I bet Rowan just loves having a new little cousin to play with... I can't wait to see him! :)

Angie and Kyle said...

Send me some of those pictures!!! I need some for my blog!

Maddox is adorable, as always. He might be a "Hoover" but he's "Moxie" to me. ;)

We love you guys!

-Angie

Val said...

Oh my goodness Heidi & Corey, he is just a doll. Thanks for documenting all the events for us. Wish we could have seen the kids on Halloween. I'll bet Grandma Lindell was thrilled. Keep up the good work. Glad you're feeling better too. Nothing like an infection right off the bat. Hope all goes well from now on. Love, Auntie Val

Michelle said...

Thanks for letting us know what's going on in little Maddox's life. What a lot has happened in the first week alone. I hope you are feeling better. I know what it's like to be sore for a couple of weeks, but to have an infection too! Take all the help you can get, and don't be afraid to ask for help. A nice long nap can do wonders! Hope to see you soon.
Love, Michelle

Anonymous said...

What a cute thing! No wonder u are all in love with this piece of heaven!
Congrats Heidi & Corey!!...
(i check the blog once a week so i can see how my american nephew is getting cutter and cutter!)